By Angelika Hanna
This recipe is inspired by TV cook Mary Berg from her CTV show ‘Mary’s Kitchen Crush‘.
It is a hearty and earthy vegetarian meal. To make it vegan, leave out the feta crumble topping.
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
For the Veggie Stew:
- 1 can (28 oz) Marzano tomatoes + juice
- Extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 yellow + 1/2 orange Bell pepper, sliced
- 1-3 garlic gloves (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh or 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp red vine vinegar
- Fresh basil, chopped, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, place the canned tomatoes. Smash them.
- Spread some olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Add the smashed tomatoes with its juice.
- Season with salt.
- Roast the tomatoes for about 30 min.
- In a Dutch oven, heat some olive oil over medium heat on the stove top.
- Add the onions and cook for about 3 min.
- Season the eggplant with salt, add to the onions, and cook for about 3 min.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more min.
- Add the zucchini.
- Add the Bell peppers.
- Add some fresh or dried oregano.
- Add some fresh or dried thyme.
- Add the roasted tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the bay leaf
- Add 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Add some fresh basil leaves
- Top with the crumbled feta cheese before serving.
For the Polenta: Tip: Prepare everything before starting the cooking process.
- 3 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium cooking pot, bring 3 1/2 cup vegetable broth to boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high.
- While whisking, gradually add the cornmeal.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Covered with a lid, simmer for about 8-10 min.
- Continue whisking and gradually add the Parmesan and parsley.
- Grease a square baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread in evenly the polenta.
- Let cool at room temperature for a few minutes, then place in the fridge until the polenta firms up.
- Remove from the baking sheet on a cutting board.
- Cut the large polenta square into smaller squares.
- In a frying pan, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Fry the polenta squares on each side until golden brown.
Enjoy the veggie stew with the polenta!