By Angelika Hanna
Low carb, vegetarian, and super tasty! To make it more healthy, I used brown rice noodles instead of regular pasta.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- Extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, minced; or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 oz fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp low-fat ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- A pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- A squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- 4 no-boil brown rice lasagna noodles
- Marinara sauce (best homemade, see my recipe ‘Versatile Homemade Marinara Sauce’)
- Mozzarella cheese ( I used one medium-sized Buffalo mozarella ball, sliced)
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Saute for 1 min.
- Add the spinach. Saute until just barely wilted, about 2 min.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, salt, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Add the spinach and stir to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Layer with lasagna noodles.
- Spread more marinara sauce on the top of the noodles. (The liquid is important for the noodles to cook soft as they are not pre-cooked.)
- Add some slices of mozzarella on the marinara sauce.
- Add a layer of the spinach mixture.
- Top with more marinara sauce and some slices of mozzarella, and sprinkle with a pinch of dried thyme.
- Cover your baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 min. or until the liquid is bubbling and the noodles have softened.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 10 more min.
- Let sit for about 10 min before serving so that the lasagna noodles can soak up all the extra moisture.