By Angelika Hanna
This recipe is from my mother’s kitchen when I grew up in Germany. It is Keto-friendly (low in carbs) and has no artificial flavours added. No additional stock is required; all the juices come from the vegetables.
Everything is cooked in one big frying pan – one ingredient after the next. Follow me through every step all the way through to get to this tasty German ground beef-vegetable dish.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 45 min (plus 1 hr for the mushrooms)
Total Time: 2 hr 15 min
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 cooking onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1 cup dry wild mushroom mix + the water, the mushrooms were pre-boiled in.
- celery stalks, sliced
- 1 green Bell pepper
- 1 medium-sized carrots, sliced
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Kosher salt/freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- In a small pot, place 1 cup of wild mushroom mix. Add water so that the mushrooms are well covered. (They soak up a lot of water.)
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low-medium. Let simmer for at least 1 hour. (Dried wild mushrooms are very tough and take a long time to cook soft.) Tip: Start cooking your mushrooms approx. 1 hour prior to cooking the meat.
- In a large non-stick skillet/frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add your lean ground beef.
- Once the meat is light brown, spice with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, the dried parsley and thyme. Stir well.
- Add the onions. Stir the onions into the meat. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic (optional) and cook approx. 1 min.
- Add all the other vegetables (celery, Bell pepper, carrot, tomato). Stir the vegetables into the meat. Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook your meat-vegetable mix for approx. 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- By this time, your mushrooms should be soft.
- Add the mushrooms with water to the meat-vegetable pan.
- Sample for more salt and pepper. Adjust to your personal taste.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Simmer over low-medium heat for approx. 30 min. or until the vegetables are soft according to your like.
Serve with white rice, broad noodles or German egg noodles.