By Angelika Hanna
The first vegetable of the year that grows in the fields in Southern Ontario, Canada, and is ripe to harvest in the month of May is the green asparagus.
I came across this recipe last year and it was so delicious that I remembered it this year. I cooked it again and I am delighted to share the recipe with all of you on my blog.
It is a quick and easy dish to prepare, perfect for a vegetarian lunch on a busy workweek.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-25 min
Total Time: 35 min
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and trim your asparagus. Wash little tomatoes. Dry well with paper towels.
- On a baking sheet, spread the asparagus and tomatoes in a single layer.
- Drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper mix. Roll the vegetables in the oil mix to coat from all sides.
- Sprinkle with half of your freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Roast in the oven for 20 min until the vegetables start to caramelize.
- In a small pot, simmer the balsamic vinegar approx. 10 min until it starts to thicken.
- Drizzle your roasted vegetables with the vinegar.
- Sprinkle the rest of your parmesan cheese on top and garnished with fresh basil.