By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min (plus cook time for the pasta)
Total Time: 50 min
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- Any pasta of your choice (I used red & white quinoa macaroni)
- 4 chicken thighs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- All purpose flour, for dredging
- Extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 red Bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup dry red or white wine (I used red wine)
- 1 ( 28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons drained capers (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- Fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped (optional)
- In a pot with salted water, cook the pasta of your choice following the package instructions.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour to coat lightly.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and saute until browned, about 5 min. per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the Bell pepper and the onion to the pan and saute over medium-heat heat until the onion turns translucent, about 5 min.
- If you use garlic, add it now and saute for 1 min.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3-5 min.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, the broth, the capers, and the oregano.
- Return the chicken to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through, about 20 min.
- Transfer the chicken to a platter. (If necessary, boil the sauce until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.)
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then sprinkle with the basil and serve (optional).
Serve with the pasta of your choice.