By Angelika Hanna
A Ree Drummond inspired recipe from The Pioneer Woman TV show. My version is an easy and quick-to-prepare vegan/vegetarian weekday meal full of flavor.
Ree upgraded this dish with an egg topping and garnish (see below).
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 10 – 12 min
Total Time: 30 min
Yield: 4 servings
Cuisine: North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 head cauliflower, stem removed, head cut into florets
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup packed spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower florets in batches, until rice-size crumbs form.
- Transfer to a cheese cloth to remove the excess moist.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oils over medium heat.
- Add the green onions, garlic, ginger, and chili paste.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 – 3 min.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the carrots and spinach.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until the spinach has wilted, about 1 – 2 min.
- Add the cauliflower ‘rice’ and cook for about 3 – 4 min.
- Pour in the soy sauce and stir until the liquid has evaporated about 2 – 3 min longer.
A suggestion from The Pioneer Woman:
Topped with fried egg:
- Melt butter in a second frying pan over medium heat.
- Crack in the eggs. (Tip: While the eggs cook, spoon hot butter over the whites so that the whites set without flipping.)
- Towards the end of cooking, carefully spoon hot butter over the yolks and cook until the eggs reach the desired ‘doneness.’
Drizzle with sriracha, and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and some green onions.
Note: I served this dish without the egg and garnish.