By Angelika Hanna
A Ree Drummond recipe from The Pioneer Woman TV show.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 35 min
Yield: 4 servings
Cuisine: North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2 cooking onions, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 Portobello mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned
- A few dashes of extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1/2 cup cheese *(optional) – The Pioneer Woman used Swiss cheese
- Dijon mustard, to taste *(optional)
- Lettuce leaves
- Pickled hot pepper slices, to taste
- Tomatoes, sliced *(optional)
* I did not use any of those options
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, Worcestershire, eggs, onions, salt and black pepper using your hands.
- Form the meat into 4 patties. (Using your thumb, press a slight indention in the center of each patty to keep them from rising too much when they cook.)
- In the meantime, place the mushrooms to a bowl and toss carefully with the olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Grill the mushrooms until tender, 6 – 7 min per side.
- Transfer mushrooms to a sheet pan, lightly cover, and set aside.
- Remove the patties from the fridge and place on the grill.
- Grill until just cooked through, 3 – 4 min per side.
- Top each pattie with the cheese of your choice, 1 – 2 min. before patties are grilled through and allow cheese to melt.
- Remove the patties from the grill.
- Drizzle Dijon mustard on inside of each Portobello mushroom cap to make “buns.”
- Place each pattie on top of a Portobello.
- Top with lettuce leaf, tomato slice, hot peppers – each.
- Place a Portobello “bun on” top of each, gill-side down.