By Angelika Hanna
This German-inspired vegan potato salad recipe is a delicious side dish.
Prep Time: 30 min (plus cooking and cooling time for the potatoes)
Yield: 3-4 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 3 baking potatoes*, cooked, peeled, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 red Bell pepper, cubed
- 1/4 red onion, cubed
- 1 small cucumber, cubed
- 3 pickles, cubed
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pickle juice, to taste
- Canola or vegetable oil
- In a medium pot, cook the potatoes, skin on, for about 15 – 20 min, until soft. Check softness by poking in with a fork.
- When cooked, remove the potatoes from the water onto a plate. While still hot, remove the skin. Cut into quarter chunks to speed up the cooling process.
- In the meantime, cut up all the veggies, and place them into a large salad bowl.
- When completely cooled off, cut the potatoes into bite-sized chunks.
- Add potatoes to the veggies.
- Add the chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add some oil and pickle juice.
- Mix all the ingredients carefully to avoid mashing the potatoes, cover with plastic foil, and place in the fridge to cool and to allow the flavors combine.
*Note: I used baking potatoes because I prefer the soft slightly creamy texture of those potatoes. Any other potato type works according to your preference.