By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min (If you use canned lentils)
Total Time: 40 min
Yield: 4-6 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 medium-sized cooking onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red Bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (1 540ml can) green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika (Hungarian)
- 1/2 tsp spicy Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste,
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large cooking pot, place the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, red Bell pepper, garlic, and spices, and add 6 cups of vegetable broth. Lid on.
- Bring to boil, then, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Let simmer for about 20 min. or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Using a potato smasher, smash the vegetables (mainly the potatoes) to aim for a slightly creamy liquid.
- Add the canned lentils.
- Cook with lid on leaving a gap open for the steam to escape over medium-low heat for about 10 min.
- Taste for more salt and black pepper.
- Last, add the spinach, turn the heat off but leave the pot on the hot burner to let the meal continue cooking slowly. Cover with lid on completely.