By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 3 h
Total Time: 3 h 10 min
Yield: 6 servings
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 4 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 2- to 4-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3 carrots, halved and cut in thirds
- 1 parsnip, halved and cut in third
- 2 medium-sized onions, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups full-bodied red wine (f.ex. Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2 springs rosemary
- 6 springs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, whole
- 2 cups beef stock
- 12-14 button mushrooms (small cremini)
- Sprinkle the short ribs with salt and pepper (both sides).
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ribs and cook about 6 – 8 min until browned. Remove from the pot onto a plate. Set aside.
- Place the carrots, onions, garlic, jalapeno, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves in the Dutch oven and cook until browned for about 4 min.
- Add the tomato paste in the center of the pot and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, for about 30 sec.
- Stir in the wine and the stock.
- Return the meat into the pot.
- Bring to boil, then, reduce the heat to low-medium.
- Cook for about 3-5 hrs or until the meat is tender.
- Add the mushrooms in the last hour of cooking.
Serve with mashed potatoes or potato gratin.