By Angelika Hanna
This recipe is inspired by Ina Garten’s Baked Pasta with Tomatoes and Eggplant. I modified Ina’s recipe in that I left out the fennel bulb and seeds. Instead of the fennel bulb I added the zucchini. It turned out as a delicious choice of vegetables. Further, I replaced the regular pasta with whole grains Fusilli. This meal is healthy and pasty all in one.
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 h 20 min
Yield: 3-4 servings
Cuisine: North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 4 1/2 cups (1/2 inch diced) eggplant
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 3-6 cloves garlic, optional
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, preferable San Marzano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz Super Grain Fusilli
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, medium diced
- 5 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium pot, heat some olive oil.
- Add the onions and the zucchini and cook for 6 – 8 min, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the zucchini starts getting tender.
- Add the eggplant and saute for about 5 min.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring.
- Add the vegetable stock, the tomatoes, and the herbs and spices, stir to combine.
- Bring to boil, then lower the heat to low-medium, and cook with lid on leaving a gap to release the steam for about 15 min. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the super grain Fussili for 1 -2 min less than the directions on the package. (The Fussili should be ‘al dente’). Drain.
- In a casserole dish, place the Fussili, some of the eggplant soup, the mozzarella, 2 tbsp of the Parmesan cheese and combine the ingredients. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 min. until hot and bubble and the Fusilli begins to brown.
- Sprinkle each dish with the remaining Parmesan and bake for another 4 min.