By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 85 min
Total Time: 1 h 45 min
Yield: 4-5 servings
Cuisine: Italian-North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium eggplant, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/4 inch thick half moons
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Marinara sauce
- 1 medium cooking onion
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a frying pan, heat some olive oil; fry the onions until translucent 4-5 min, then add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 10 min until the meat is broken down and cooked through. Drain the fat.
- Place the eggplant in one layer on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Bake for 15 min.
- Turn the slices and rotate the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for another 10 min, until tender.
- Leave the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a baking dish, spread some marinara sauce.
- Arrange the eggplant on top in one layer.
- Place the ground beef/onion mixture on top of the eggplant.
- Scatter with some basil.
- Place mozzarella slices on top and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the process, starting with the marinara and ending with the Parmesan, making sure each layer is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 10 min. before serving.