By Angelika Hanna
‘There is something romantic about roasted chicken,’ stated celebrity cook Ina Garten in one of her interviews. And Prince Harry and Meghan confirmed Ina’s statement publicly before their wedding. The legend goes even further. It tells that girls who know how to make a tasty roasted chicken for their boyfriend or fiancee, are less likely to be dumped. This may sound corny, but lets be honest: a roasted chicken enhances a cozy and romantic dinner.
This time I tried Celebrity Chef Jamie Oliver’s famous ‘Perfect Roast Chicken’ recipe. I bought a high quality raw chicken at the grocery store; one that was less fatty and non-hormone-fed. And, oh yah, did this make a difference in taste from my last cheap chicken purchase. It is worth spending a few more dollars for a more tasty and healthy meal.
My Jamie Oliver style chicken turned out amazingly delicious. It was juicy and oh so tasty with the lemon flavor and the herb seasoning. I highly recommend this recipe.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr 25 min + resting time
Total Time: 2 hrs
Yield: 6 servings
Cuisine: British/North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- One 1.6 kg whole chicken
- 2 medium cooking onions
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 garlic clove
- Extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of mixed fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, parsley)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 min before you want to cook it. Let it come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and roughly chop the vegetables. (Leave them unpeeled, including the garlic cloves.)
- Spread the vegetables onto a large roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss the until the veggies are coated with oil.
- Mix oil, salt, and pepper. Rub all over the chicken including the cavity.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the roasting pan.
- Poke the lemon with the tip of a sharp knife all over. Then, place the lemon in the microwave for approx. 40 sec. This will bring out the flavor. ( I cut the lemon in half as my lemon was a large one.)
- Put the lemon inside the chicken cavity, with the bunch of herbs.
- Tie up the chicken with string for even roasting results. (Tip: Watch Jamie Oliver’s YouTube video on how to tie up a chicken.)
- Place the roasting pan in the oven. (Tip: For a darker and more crispy skin, leave the oven temperature at 475 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 min. after you place the chicken in the oven.)
- Then, turn the heat down to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook for 1 hr 20 min.
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking.
- If the vegetables look dry, add a splash of water to the pan to stop them from burning.
- When the chicken is cooked, take the pan out of the oven and transfer the chicken to a board to rest for 15 min.
- Cover the chicken with aluminum foil. Set aside.