By Angelika Hanna
This recipe is inspired by Ina Garten‘s Roasted Eggplant Parmesan on the Food Network channel. However, I made a few changes to Ina’s recipe. I did not add any extra topping. My casserole ends with the layer of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. I learned from experience that bread crumbs in combination with eggplant and sauce turn out soggy. And I am not a fan of anything soggy. I placed my cheese as the final layer in my casserole and this made a nice crispy golden brown topping. Also, I did not add any goat cheese in my casserole.
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 75 min
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Yield: 4 servings
Cuisine: North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 large eggplant, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/4 inch thick half moons
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Marinara sauce
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the eggplant in one layer on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Bake for 15 min.
- Turn the slices and rotate the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for another 10 min, until tender.
- Leave the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a baking dish, spread some marinara sauce.
- Arrange the eggplant on top in one layer.
- Scatter with some basil.
- Place mozzarella slices on top and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the process twice, starting with the marinara and ending with the Parmesan, making sure each layer is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 10 min. before serving.