By Angelika Hanna
This simple and easy-to-make chicken soup is one of my favorite soups on a cold winter day. An old saying tells that chicken soup is Penicillin. The legend says that our ancestors apparently healed their colds and flues through eating chicken soups. I believe that there is some truth in this adage. When you have a cold and a sore throat or an upset stomach and you don’t have much of an appetite, a chicken soup is easy to swallow and to digest: A basic chicken soup with some vegetables, mildly spiced with a little bit of salt, and if you can get fresh parsley in the winter time, this is a bonus for your chicken soup. To get the most flavor into this soup, use chicken thighs or legs with the bones in. The bones add to the richness and flavor of the soup. In addition, I use chicken with the skin on; it adds some fat which gives the soup a nice texture and even more flavor. Invest into an organic high quality chicken for better health benefits, especially when you leave the skin on. If you find that your soup turns out too fatty, you can spoon off some of the fat after the soup is cooked and cooled off. Chicken soup is better and more intensive in taste when you warm it up on the next day or in the evening if you cook your soup in the morning. To enhance the flavor, I add an organic Chicken Bouillon cube.
- 4 chicken thighs or legs, bone in and skin on
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium-sized Nantes carrot or any other type of carrot, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red Bell pepper, diced
- 1 organic Chicken Bouillon cube (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Place the chicken in a medium-sized pot half filled with water.
- Bring the water with chicken to boil, then reduce the heat to medium heat.
- Cook for approx. 10 min. until the chicken releases some particles from the skin and blood.
- Take the chicken out in a sieve and rinse briefly with clear water. Set aside.
- In a second medium-sized pot, drain the chicken broth through the cleaned sieve to achieve clear broth.
- Return the chicken to the clear broth.
- The chicken should be half way cooked.
- Add all the vegetables, the Bouillon cube, salt, and ground black pepper.
- Cook for approx. 20 min. over low-medium heat with the lid on (leave a small gap to release steam.
- Turn the heat off. Sprinkle your chicken soup with fresh parsley (optional).