By Angelika Hanna
I took Anna Olson’s classic pumpkin muffin recipe for my fall muffins and all I can say is that it was the right decision. There are countless recipes out on the web and sometimes this can be overwhelming in deciding for which one to go.
Prep Time: 15 min
Bake Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
Yield: 12 muffins
Cuisine: North American
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup packed demerara or dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place your muffin paper liners (I used parchment paper cup liners) in the cups of your muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the pumpkin, brown sugar, buttermilk, egg whites and vegetable oil.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for about 30 minutes, until a tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 20 minutes before removing from the tin.
** The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days or frozen. Do not refrigerate.