By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 40 min
Yield: 4 servings
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 4 medium chicken breasts (or 2 chicken breasts, sliced horizontally; or 4 thighs, boneless)
- 1 cooking onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 5 Roma or Marzano tomatoes, cubed
- 3-4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tsp paprika (I used 1/2 tsp hot Spanish + 1/2 tsp mild Hungarian)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheese (I used the Tex Mex)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine your spices (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika, red chili pepper flakes.)
- Rub the chicken with the seasoning mixture. Set aside.
- In a large oven-proof frying pan (cast iron), melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Cook chicken for approx. 5 min on each side, until cooked through, browned and not pink on the inside.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter (1 tbsp) to the frying pan and melt over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until they turn translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 min.
- Add mushrooms and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes break down and render some juice.
- Stir in chicken stock.
- Add the spinach.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, until the spinach is wilted.
- Return the chicken in the frying pan with the spinach/tomato mixture.
- Top the chicken with cheese.
- Transfer the frying pan to the pre-heated oven.
- Bake until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley.