By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: 35 min
Yield: 3 servings
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 4 pork bacon strips, bite-sized cut
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium cooking onion, diced
- 1 medium red Bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- Hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small frying pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from pan onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess fat.
- In a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion, cook over medium heat approx. 3-4 min or until they turn translucent.
- Add the Bell pepper. Cook for approx. 2-3 min stirring frequently.
- Add the butter to the frying pan.
- When the butter is melted, add the shredded cabbage. Stir to combine with the onion-pepper mixture.
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 min or until the cabbage is tender, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the hot sauce, stir to combine and cook for another 5 min to let the flavors combine.