By Angelika Hanna
There are many varieties of coleslaw customized to different preferences and tastes. The classic version uses the basic ingredients: mayo, sugar, vinegar, salt and black pepper. Simple and easy.
Prep Time: 15 min (+ 4 hrs refrigerating time)
Yield: 6 servings
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1/2 medium-sized head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt (in American Southern Cuisine celery salt is often used)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- Slice your cabbage into thin pieces, or shred in a food processor. Place in a large bowl.
- Shred carrots and add to the cabbage.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, celery salt, black pepper
- Pour half of the dressing over the cabbage and carrot mixture, and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, allowing the flavors develop and meld together.
- Pour the remaining dressing over your coleslaw before serving.