By Angelika Hanna
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
Yield: 4 tomatoes
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 4 medium-large tomatoes
- 4 cups of fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- Extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced – optional
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice a 1/2 inch ‘lid’ off each tomato.
- Hollow out the tomato. (Save the spooned out tomato meat and juice – it can be later used to make Marinara sauce.)
- Sprinkle the inside of the hollow tomato with some salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, cook your quinoa following the package instruction.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the spinach. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for a few minutes or until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Mix in the garlic and parsley. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the spinach mixture. Combine well.
- Taste for more salt and pepper.
- Evenly divide the quinoa-spinach mixture filling among the tomatoes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle the tomato tops with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.