By Angelika Hanna
Until recently, I supported the opinion that vegetables and fruit do not pair well; that either you have a fruit salad or a vegetable salad. I did not grow up with salads that combined fruit and vegetables. In fact, I had never tried the combination. A friend suggested that I should just give it a try and see if I could still support my opinion afterwards. Now, I can say how wrong I was in my statement. Fruit and vegetables are indeed a fantastic match.
Prep Time: 10 min
Yield: 4 servings
Cuisine: Vegan World Cuisine
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- Fresh spinach, de-stemmed, coarsely chopped
- Watermelon, cut in chunks
- Red onion, cut in rings
- Walnut chunks (I used roasted walnuts)
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- In a large salad bowl, combine carefully the watermelon, spinach, and red onion.
- In a small separate bowl, mix together all the ingredients for your dressing.
- Top your salad with the walnut chunks.
- Drizzle with the dressing before serving.