By Angelika Hanna
A Barefoot Contessa inspired recipe. Celery salad is an Italian classic, which I recently learned from Ina Garten in her TV show on the Food Network.
This salad looks like summer on a plate. I placed my celery salad on a lettuce bed which adds more green shades and flavors to my salad plate.
I followed the Barefoot Contessa’s celery recipe, however, I left the anchovy paste out because of personal taste.
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
Yield: 4-6 servings
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 5 cups thinly sliced celery hearts, tender leaves included, sliced on an angle (approx. 12 stalks)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp freshly pressed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
For the Topping:
- 4-ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup toasted or untoasted walnuts, chopped
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Place your angle-shaped sliced celery stalks in a bowl. Mix in 1/2 tsp of salt and some freshly pressed lemon juice to moisten well the celery.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the celery to crisp and the flavors to develop.
- Prepare the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, shallots, celery salt, anchovy paste (if you use it – I didn’t), salt, pepper.
- Arrange the celery on a platter with lettuce.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Shave the Parmesan with a vegetable peeler onto the celery. Sprinkle with walnuts, parsley leaves (optional). Add salt and pepper to your taste.