By Angelika Hanna
This is a simple and quick recipe for a delicious, light summer dish – low in carbs and calories. The Panko crumbs add a nice crispiness to the fish skin.
Snapper is a lean source of protein. It is rich in selenium, vitamin A, potassium, and omega-3 fatty acids. It may be beneficial to help lower triglycerides, blood pressure, inflammation, macular degeneration, and may help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke (Healthline, Apr 2019.)
However, the snapper is among those types of fish that contain a relatively high amount of mercury, and should be, therefore, consumed in moderation.
What to know about Mercury:
Mercury is a type of toxic metal that comes in different forms within the environment. “Small amounts of mercury are present in everyday food and products, which may not affect your health” (Healthline, Dec 2018.) However, consuming frequently certain types of fish and seafood that contain high amounts of mercury can pose health risks, especially for pregnant women and the unborn child. The Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Association have issued guidelines for the consumption of food that contain high levels of mercury.
Potential health risks:
High mercury levels are most notable for their neurological effects, such as lack of coordination, muscle weakness, hearing and speech difficulties in adults and cognitive and developmental disruptions in young children according to the U.S Food and Drug Administration (Healthline, Dec 2018.)
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
Yield: 1 serving
Cuisine: World Cuisine
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
For the fish:
- 1 whole red snapper, head and tail off, cleaned
- Vegetable oil
- Panko crumbs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- Leaf lettuce
- Celery stalk, sliced
- Red Bell pepper, cubed
- English cucumber, sliced
- Sweet Onion, chopped
For the dressing:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly pressed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a frying pan, heat some vegetable oil over medium-heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
- Brush the washed and dried fish with the oil mix.
- Roll the fish on a plate with Panko crumbs to coat from both sides.
- Place your fish in the frying pan and cook over medium heat each side for about 8 min or until the fish skin is browned and crispy.
- In the meantime, prepare your salad.
- Place all salad ingredients in a big bowl. Mix well. Prepare the dressing in a small bowl and drizzle over the salad.