By Angelika Hanna
Happy Canada Day! It’s Canada Day Long Weekend! On July 1st, and we celebrate our national holiday in Canada.
This year I tried something new with my burgers. Instead of a bread bun, I made my own bun from scratch out of cauliflower meal. I invite you to read how I prepared this delicious and healthy bun for an awesome burger. Be ready for a yummy burger feast!
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Total Time: Approx. 50 min
Yield: 4 burgers
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
For the cauliflower buns:
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil to spray/brush the baking sheet
For the burger patties:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
To build the burger:
- Tomato, sliced
- Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Red/purple onion, sliced
- Lettuce leaf
- Picante red pepper relish – optional (I used a spicy relish)
How to prepare the cauliflower buns:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, place cauliflower florets and grate until they turn into fine crumbs.
- Transfer the crumbs in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave your cauliflower crumbs on high setting for 8 min.
- Tap dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. (The crumbs should be as dry as possible.)
- Add eggs, Parmesan, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Form cauliflower batter into eight 4-inch circles (approx. 1/2 inch-flat.)
- Spray or brush a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
- Place your batter circles on the greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake until the circles turn golden brown, approx. 25 min.
How to prepare the beef patties:
- Combine ground beef, eggs, salt and pepper and form 4 patties.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil.
- Add patties and reduce heat to medium.
- Fry patties until cooked, approx. 5 min. per side for medium-cooked.
- During the last minute of frying, top each patty with a slice of cheddar cheese and cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese.
Build your burger and enjoy!