By Angelika Hanna
This recipe started out as an experiment. I had never cooked anything ‘deep fried’ before. The more I was surprised and amazed of the outcome. These deep fried shrimps turned out literally ‘Restaurant Style.’ They were crispy and flakey and light. I had never thought that one can make deep fried shrimps at home so deliciously and this within less than 30 minutes. I am excited to share this quick and easy recipe with all seafood lovers.
Deep fried shrimps are just perfect for many occasions: whether you serve them for a light summer lunch or at a potluck party or as an appetizer or just as a snack in between – they are simply delicious.
Prep Time: 10 min + 10 min defrosting time
Cook Time: Approx. 5 min
Total Time: Approx. 25 min (including defrosting time)
Yield: 21 shrimps
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 400 g pre-cooked, deveined shrimps, frozen
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- Sweet paprika powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Dried parsley flakes (optional)
I did not give any measurements for the spices. Adjust to your own taste.
- Defrost shrimps if you use frozen ones: put them in cold water for about 10 min. If shrimps are still frozen, drain the water and add fresh water; soak shrimps until completely defrosted.
- Transfer defrosted shrimps to a sieve. Rinse with cold water. Then place them on a paper towel and dip dry. (It is important that the shrimps are dry.)
- Prepare 3 plates.
- On 1st plate: Mix flour with salt, pepper, and paprika powder.
- On 2nd plate: Whisk egg
- On 3rd plate: Mix Panko crumbs with red pepper flakes, extra salt, garlic powder, and parsley flakes (if you opt for garlic and parsley.)
- First, coat your shrimps with the flour mix. Shake off the excess flour.
- Second, dip the shrimps in the whisked eggs. Let excess egg drip off.
- Third, coat your shrimps with the Panko mix. Press the crumbs mix against the shrimps.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot. Make sure the oil reaches a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With tongs, transfer the shrimps in the hot oil. Let them fry until they turn brown and crispy. Flip them a few times to fry from both sides. It should take approx. 5 min. Observe them and take them out when they reach the brownness of your choice.
- Transfer the deep fried shrimps to a rack for the excess oil to drip off for a couple of minutes.
Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice from sweet to savory and everything in between.
Idea for a zesty dipping sauce:
- 3/4 cup ketchup (my preference is Sriracha ketchup for a spicy kick)
- 3/4 tbsp horseradish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mix the ingredients well together.