By Angelika Hanna
One more asparagus dish before the season ends!
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: Approx. 15 min (for one batch)
Total Time: Approx. 35 min
Yield: 2 servings
Cuisine: North American/Canadian
Author: Angelika Hanna / Zest4Food
- 1 pound green asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 2 large egg, whisked
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim and wash your asparagus stalks. Dry them using paper towels.
- Mix Parmesan cheese and Panko bread crumbs and spread across a large plate.
- On a separate plate, spread flour.
- In a lunch bag or freezer bag – large enough for the stalks to fit – pour your whisked eggs.
Coating your asparagus:
- Coat asparagus stalk in whisked eggs (a bag work well as it covers the stalks fast and evenly.)
- Let excess egg drip off when taking the stalks out of the bag, then coat stalk slightly in flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Return stalk for a second coating in the bag with the egg. Let egg drip off.
- Roll stalk in the Parmesan-Panko mixture.
- Brush a baking rack with some vegetable oil or spray with cooking oil.
- Place the coated asparagus stalks on the rack with a tray underneath. Place the stalks close together. It prevents the coating from falling off the stalks.
- Bake for 10 min. The stalks should be slightly browned.
- Brush them with vegetable oil.
- Place the tray back in the oven and bake for another 5 -8 min.
After you have removed the baked asparagus from the rack, there will be browned and extra crispy crumbs on the tray underneath the rack. Spoon them off and sprinkle them on top of your asparagus stalks.
Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice. (I used the spicy Portuguese style. It goes very well with the asparagus.)